How does Laser Eye Surgery Work
Laser eye surgery works by manipulating the lenses in the eye with a laser beam, this reshapes them to the correct dimensions and allows images captured by the eye to fall on the retina as they do in a normally functioning eye.
These techniques have only been developed in the last couple of decades, mainly with the arrival of new laser technologies,more precisely controllable computerized systems and a deep understanding of the Physics of the eye, the optical system and how to manipulate them to our advantage when needed. With more and more automated processes for such medical procedures, obviously this lowers the price of Eye Laser Surgery.
There are two slight differences between ow Lasik and Lasek Eye Surgeries work, i will outline those differences when necessary.
How Laser Eye Surgery is done
Laser eye surgery has several quick and simple steps, these are –
- the Optician/surgeon will place some numbing drops into your eye.
- He/she will then mark (on a computer) where they plan to cut the Corneal Flap.
- They will then place a suction cup over your eye, this ensures a tight hold of the eye and a safer operation
Now we come to the difference between the workings of Lasek an Lasik eye surgeries.
- a Lasek surgeon will cut the corneal flap with a femtosecond laser.
- a Lasik surgeon will cut the corneal flap with a microkeratome blade –
Apart from these two differences both operations are almost identical and the following steps apply to both.
- Once the corneal flaps have been cut the surgeon switches on the laser, which then begins to modify the now exposed cornea and reshape it to the correct dimensions (these dimensions will have been decided by the surgeon weeks before surgery began)
- After the laser has finished shaping the Cornea the surgeon will allow the corneal flap to fall back into its natural position.
The surgery is now complete.
Eye Laser Surgery Cost
The average cost of laser eye surgery has dropped dramatically in the last number of years. This is due to more Opticians becoming proficient at carrying out the surgery, as well as more automated procedures. The cost of a typical laser eye surgery operation would be just below 1000 US $ per eye, this will also continue to fall.
Laser Eye Surgery Risks
The risks involved in laser eye surgery are nowadays basically non existent. Whereas at the start of this technology accidents may have happened in maybe one out of every 1000 operations, that number Is now down nearer one In 10,000 and continuously falling.
Laser eye surgery Video
Below is a video showing the full process involved in Laser eye surgery –